1. Welcome to MRM Forum - A Yaoi community by fan for fan. Enjoy
    Dismiss Notice

An extreme lack of yaoi animes

Discussion in 'Anime' started by AsherMasher, Aug 3, 2017.

?

Would you enjoy seeing more yaoi animes/hentais?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AsherMasher

AsherMasher New Member

I have been thinking about this for awhile, why is it that there's tons of hentai with yuri and straight couples, but there aren't any yaois? I mean we have blcds, but the only place to see that is on YouTube which isn't a good platform for that due to the fact that they can be deleted at anytime (because of it being flagged) and isn't that big of a library. Whether there's lots and it all has somehow stayed in Japan for lord knows what reason or if it just doesn't exist, I don't know, but it is one of the single most annoying things. All we get is stupid stuff like Boku no Piko, stuff from the 90s, or stuff like Koisuru Boukun, and you've seen the animation on that. Love stage Yuri on Ice have good animation, but there're very pg so I don't think they count. It's not like people aren't willing to make it cuz people are willing to voice act for blcds and there definitely is a market. I mean, if I'm not mistaken MyReadingManga has even taken out the whole tab for yaoi animes (I'm pretty sure that even when it was there it only had about seven pages which doesn't compare to the amount of mangas). If anyone has an explanation for me, I would be glad to hear it, if not, there is no good excuse. Get to it Japan!!!!!

2. welpok

welpok New Member

I'll give an educated guess-
    As it stands right now, anime and manga tends to be marketed towards Japanese people (with a slight shift these past few years, since we're now seeing Japan take interest in foreign markets like China and America). This is important to know, because in Japan LGBT rights are basically non-existent. If you've noticed the stories in a few Yaoi, you can see that anytime a character gets teased or told that they're gay, they tend to profoundly refuse such accusations because of the immense prejudice by peers and society when people find out you're gay in most eastern countries. This is essentially my reason as to why there isn't any Yaoi anime studios, I don't think many people would like to say they animate or draw Yaoi for a living (hey, this is even an issue with Hentai. Many artists have pen-names in hopes that they're never caught because it can affect their ability to become professionals in the future).

With that said, the major reason for the lack of Yaoi anime is probably because the market for BL hasn't been too profitable in the past few years. Yaoi mangas don't sell as much as their counterparts (Hentai / Ecchi in this case) because their only target audience is girls who are interested in BL. However, there's been a pleasant shift lately with this. All these shounen-ai anime and OVAs have been a testing ground to see if the market actually wants more BL shows adapted. For example - As much as I disliked Yuri On Ice, I'm glad that it got the attention because of how popular it become. The anime sold like crazy, reaching records with how well it sold. This is starting to show people that there might be a market for these kinds of shows, since the show was able to reach lots of foreign countries + Japan itself.

So with all of that said, the future for more Yaoi anime doesn't seem impossible... As long as you don't mind having half the screen censored or with mosaic.

A slight thought - I didn't really mention anything about CD Dramas because I don't have any interest in them. Anyone mind telling how well that area is doing when it comes to Yaoi? It's also important for anime since it shows some Voice Actors might be willing to take on those types of roles.